Wednesday, May 27, 2015

So Long...

I’m surprised to be saying this, but this last year was my last serving on Town Meeting.

When we moved to Arlington, I was sure it would be the last move I made, until retirement in any case. Life makes a mockery of plans like those.

My wife and I are moving to Minnesota, into the old family farm house now vacant since the passing of her great Aunt last year. I am able to telecommute from there and keep my job, and we’ll be close to my wife’s family.

I’ve only served in Town Meeting for four years, but those four years have left an indelible mark on me.

It’s one thing to hear of an issue and form an opinion about it. It’s quite another to attempt to represent the thoughts, interests, and concerns of others.

It’s been a lot of work; it has also been surprisingly rewarding.

If anyone out there reading this has ever given serving some thought, I can’t recommend it enough. Go for it.

Thank you Arlington, for the opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. We'll miss you, Wes! Now I'll to go back to doing my own research on the candidates for the local elections...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes, Arlington has been richer for your living here and getting so involved and we'll be poorer when you leave. Glad you are seizing this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes, we will really miss you, Joy and Ripley but it sounds like a great opportunity for a new adventure. Thank you for all the good things you helped make possible in our little town!

    ReplyDelete